Tuesday, September 25, 2007
a girl with her doll
One lonely day, a girl found this ragged doll lying on the ground just outside her house. She was glad to find it, because for a very long time, she had been looking for the new doll her mother had just bought for her, for being such a good girl going to school on her own. But of course, like she always did, she had broken that doll and some other child had taken it away from her. For days she was crying herself to sleep thinking about that beautiful new doll and where it had gone.
Strangely, she was contented with this old ragged doll, even many of her playmates kept on teasing her for playing with such an old piece of junk. Clearly she didn't care what they thought, for she was really happy that she had a doll; and because of that she took it anywhere she went: the school, the park, her grandparents' place. She felt contented that finally there's something she could call her own.
While playing with the doll on the playground, a girl bigger than her came approaching.
"Hey, that doll you're playing with is mine," the older girl told her convincingly.
"Is it really?" the little girl innocently replied. She had no idea someone still owned her now favorite doll. "I just found it in our frontyard."
"Yeah. I just lost it somewhere in your street when I walked past there."
"Oh." That was all the little girl could say for the other girl already held onto the doll. "I didn't know someone still wanted it. I'm sorry." Tears welled up her eyes as she couldn't help but give the doll back.
"No, don't cry," the older girl said, slowly letting go of the doll. "It's my favorite doll as well. Maybe we can share it; I bet you play here often."
"Yeah I do!" the little girl became enthusiastic. "Thanks for sharing this beautiful doll. You're an angel."
Since then, the two girls of very different worlds had shared the doll, and perhaps if it were a person, it probably would become their best friend. Certainly though, the ragged doll's original owner always took it home with her, as much as the little girl wanted to do that herself. Because of that, all the contentment she felt when the doll was still hers disappeared. And now, she realized that she didn't want another doll; she wanted the same old ragged doll she found just outside her house. Unfortunately, she couldn't do anything about it. Someone had already gotten that doll before she did.
Eventually, she managed to be glad for the older girl who had the doll; she tried to be contented that she could still play with the doll, even for just a while. She felt that, at least, she had the chance to do so.
The girl went home from school one day, and there she saw the doll again on the sidewalk in front of her house. She slowly walked towards it, and she saw a note attached to it. There it said:
This is rubbish. This piece of junk isn't worth my time, at all.
I regret taking this doll back from you. I wish you hadn't just let it go.
Maybe I could've been happier. I wish you're happy it's yours again.
I've tried.
Right there and then, she realized that she would feel guilty if she took this old ragged doll again. Indeed, she felt glad she had it back, but the other girl found misery with it, out of younger girl's happiness. She didn't know what to do. But she felt she had no choice; if she truly cherished that doll, then maybe she should take it back, even out of pity.
She just stood there outside her house, waiting for some act of God to enlighten her.
"I'm glad I met you" @ 4:07 PM |